Friday, May 7, 2010

No mas choncho

Saturday evening I walked into a hospital room to see Laura passed out covered in blankets on a janky bed with an IV stuck in her arm. Tears began instantly running down my cheeks and only stopped after she assured me she was feeling much better.

Remember those pig insides we ate? Or the half-raw burger later that afternoon that maybe I forgot to mention? Both likey suspects for the cause of Laura's case of salmonella.
Sarah and I sat in the hospital with her chatting and doing cross-word puzzles until the last drops of the IV entered her now hydrated body.

Without a down girl, the next couple days weren't very exciting. Sarah, Andy and I (three's company too...) went to Cajas, the National Park near Cuenca which was like taking a trip through some bizarre fairytale.
"I could just live here and be a forest nymph forever", Sarah said. I agreed.
I continue to be amazed by the variety of topography Ecuador offers...from lush greenery to volcanoes to mountains to beautiful beaches to the rainforest, and now these strangely beautiful trees with orange and gray bark bending every which way and the countless other types of 'Brother's Grimm-type' plants surrounding a crystal-clear lake.

That night, we just watched a movie and hoped Laura would be better for our flight to Argentina...

No comments:

Post a Comment