Tuesday, March 9, 2010

mama nature never looked so good

on Thursday we took a bus to Baños, about 3 hours from Quito, but a world of difference as far as sights and folk were concerned. The city is the spanish word for baths, named so because of its natural hot springs and waterfalls.
We arrived early, around 11:30 a.m. but evenso I found myself insanely overwhelmed by the sheer amount of activities to do in this crazy beautiful city. Where there wasn´t adorable cafes, restaurants, or stores, there were places with information on canyoning, bungee jumping, zip-linging, horseback riding, bike riding, etc. etc.
We grabbed some lunch on the second level balcony Magic 8 cafe and I tried to calm myself as we prioritized which super fun things needed to be done first. We ended up renting some bikes and started biking around the mountains. We came to a waterfall and a giant canyon where a local asked us if we wanted to take a cable car across. Cassie and Suz were pretty much game right away, but it took me a few minutes to get up the nerve to give Laura my fannypack and tell mama and faja I love them. I figured if we died at least we were all in this together and I didn´t want to be in Laura´s position of having to deal with my three friends´s bodies at the bottom of an Ecuadorian canyon.

We biked a bit further until we came to a bridge where some crazy dudes were trying to get us to bungee jump off of it. I´m not trying to die today, but thanks, was all I thought. However, after watching one of them do it, I decided I needed to or I´d regret it. Never have I ever experienced such an insane high. You know when you ride rollercoasters and your stomach drops? Well this was like that but then after your stomach drops, it just completely diasppears and its like you become pure inertia. Once I walked back up to the bridge and stopped shaking, I immediately wanted to go again but refrained in fear of becoming a adrenaline junkie. Best ten bucks I ever spent.
Next was Suz´s turn and as her body flung back towards the bridge where we watched, a simple "This rules" came out of her mouth. classic.

The last stop of our bike trip brought us to El Diablo, or the devil, and the most insanely beautiful waterfall I have ever seen. We were able to climb through some caves inorder to stand behind the rushing water and all screamed at the top of our lungs. Who needs therapy with days like this was all I could think. I don't think I've never felt so present and alive in my life.

For dinner we prepared a meal of beans, rice, stirfry peppers and a whole lotta guacamole on our hostel(Plantas y Blancas)´s rooftop kitchen and seating area. After cashing a couple bottles of wine we made our way to the Leprechaun Bar where there was a giant fire outside and a dancefloor inside. Here we met locals, as well as a good amount of gringos including kiddos from Canada, Australia, Germany, and other parts of Sud America. I experienced my first taste of "machissimo" on the dance floor as Tomas repeatedly told me to "look into his eyes" but I continued mostly with my lanky white girl dancing.
When the bar finally kicked us all out around 4 a.m. we stumbled through the rain to a playground with toys and rides too fun to have in the U.S. with American parents rate of suing. But we weren't in America, and there weren't any parents. so play on.

1 comment:

  1. I love this... Paress it will be interesante to see more and more espanolo creeping into your blog the longer you are there. Hilarity. It sounds like you guys are having an insane time. Try to go rafting on an excursion, its amazing and the guides you meet are one of a kind.

    Be safe guys, pura vida!

    ReplyDelete