Saturday, March 27, 2010

wookie spotting

We knew just how touristy Canoa was when our menu had ranch dressing listed. Regardless of the fact it tasted like hot-dog water (accodring to ranch expert Sarah Horner), the rest of our Friday night meal was delicious.
Afterwards, however, I have mixed feelings about.
Though the beaches, the hotels, the home-made jewlry, and the people were beautiful- the night life was a little sketchy. As street bars close relatively early, little tiki huts lined up along the beach are open late and blare tencho music as kajillions of latino men watch for the fresh gringa bait. (they say the sharks on land are more dangerous than the sharks in the water..)
While downing beers and pretending not to hate the techno beats, little did we know we had a contender for Mr. Ecuador sitting next to us. We found this out only after Laura smooched this AC Slater/Prince look-alike. Never to be forgotten though. thats for sure.

Sunday came a little too fast and we hopped aboard the roof of a bus overloaded with people, bags, and live chickens. My fear of tumbling overboard to my death was eased by a drunk Ecuadorian man singing and passing around shots of caƱa. Good man.

Now back in Bahia, its really starting to feel like a home away from home.
On the way to the bus station I'll run into the woman who sells me my morning bananas, or on my way to the beach I'll run into the infamous Peter Mero at Bar Hermanos Mero.
This week I spent a good amount of time hanging out with some kids I met the first week here and realized a friendship was pretty inevitable as they make their living performing fire shows.
My palm reading by Victor told him a horrible accident would happen in my life but I would live through it. Really? A crease in my palm told you that? I could tell you that based on my track record. But I'm also destined to have 2 children.

I'm pretty sure time hasn't even existed this week as the only time I'm concious of it is at 7 a.m. when Manu Chao or The Band wakes us up; or when the sun sets, telling us its time to head back for our communal dinner.
Baby Sol is naked and throwing food everywhere as the rest of us go back for second and third helpings. Mmmm's all around.


"There are things you do because they feel right and they may make no sense and they may make no money and it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other and to eat each other's cooking and say it was good."

No comments:

Post a Comment